Covid 19 Updates
9/5 Update- Due to the recent mask mandate set by the state of Illinois, we are strongly encouraging masks be worn on Sunday mornings. Masks can be found at the Welcome Center and outside of the office.
5/14 Update- Because of the recent announcement made by the CDC, the leadership of NWCC has made the following decisions to begin this Sunday:
1. We are no longer “strongly encouraging” masks at our Sunday Morning service.
2. Each family should decide how they want to proceed with their minor children, in regards to masks, in KIDZONE.
3. For the time being, we are asking our adult volunteers in KIDZONE to continue to wear a mask.
4. We have been so gracious as a church during this whole pandemic; let’s continue that attitude and allow each person to make decisions for themselves and their family without judgment or comment.
You can follow the link below for more information on the CDC announcement:
5/01 Update- On Sunday, May 23rd we will return to one service. It will return to the 10am time slot. We will begin Sunday School at a later date. If there are any changes to this, we will announce it in church, on Facebook, and on the website.
11/19 Update- As of right now, our policies haven't changed and we are planning on continuing with in-person services. Please be aware that the recent city wide mask mandate makes it possible for the city to fine anyone over the age of 2 who isn't wearing a mask in a public gathering. We have had a volunteer in Elementary KidZone test positive this week. Out of an abundance of precaution, we are suspending Elementary KidZone this week. Preschool and Nursery will still be offered during second service. Elementary KidZone is already scheduled to be off on 11/29 due to fifth Sunday, so they will be back to meeting on Sunday, December 6th.
11/14 Update- We will be having services as usual this weekend (Sunday, November 15th).
11/7 Update- All in person worship services and gatherings at Northwest Christian Church have been canceled this weekend (Sunday, November 8th) due to an individual at Northwest Christian Church testing postive for Covid-19. We will live stream the worship service to Facebook and YouTube at 9:00am.
Starting on October 4th, our second service will move to 10:30am and all of our children's ministries will be meeting again at the 10:30 service. No children's ministries are meeting at the 9am service.
Dear Church Family,
We are excited to announce that we will be back worshipping together live on June 14th. We have missed you and cannot wait to see you again. That being said, if you are not feeling well for any reason or recently had a temperature of more than 100 degrees, please don’t attend. If you are immune compromised or simply uncomfortable, please do not feel any pressure to come and continue to watch the services online. Below are a few more details:
• We will offer two identical services, 9 am or 11 am. Because of current guidelines and regulations, you do not need to reserve a spot or let us know what service you are attending.
• There will not be any classes on Sunday morning during this time. If a class wishes to meet during the week, please contact the church office to schedule a room and time.
• We are asking that small groups that wish to meet, to please meet at the church building for social distancing purposes. Contact the church office to schedule a room and a time.
• Youth ministry will resume on June 14th (6-8 pm on Sundays).
• Nursery and Preschool ministries will resume on Sunday mornings, July 5th.
• Kidzone ministry will resume on Sunday mornings, October 4th.
• Sunday services will continue to be online and will be available on Monday morning following the service.
• CIY Move for High School students will take place July 13-17 in our building. The cost is $100 per student.
Regarding church services:
• Masks will be encouraged, and extra masks will be available at the church.
• Hand sanitizing stations will be available throughout the building.
• During this time, we will limit singing to 3 congregational songs. When singing, we strongly encourage wearing a mask.
• We will have prepackaged communion available at your seat.
• We will not be passing a collection plate. There will be an offering collection container at the back of the sanctuary, or you can leave it in the office. Online giving is also an option.
• Coffee services and refreshments are suspended for summer. BYOC during this time 😊.
• We will be rearranging the seating in the sanctuary to help with social distancing.
• Before, after, and in between services, volunteers will be sanitizing bathrooms, seating, and all high traffic areas.
The leadership team of NWCC wishes to thank you for your patience and generosity during this time. We have an incredible church family. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Dear Church Family,
We miss you all so much and are eager to begin meeting again. Our leadership team met the other night and brainstormed our strategy for the next phases of our state reopening and what that will look like for our church. This is our plan that has been coordinated with the state's reopening plan:
When our region moves into phase 3:
Office hours will resume normal hours of operation (Monday-Thursday, 8:30-4:30)
Ministry meetings (no more than 10 people with social distancing in place) and small workdays can resume.
Online services will continue.
When our region moves into phase 4:
Live church services will resume. We will offer 2 identical services on Sunday morning to allow for social distancing. The times of these services will be announced as we get closer to a start date.
No Kidzone or Little Kidzone will be offered for the time being, however we do expect to be able to offer these ministries again very soon. Family seating around a table will be available in the sanctuary. This will allow children to have a spot to play or draw around the table. While this is inconvenient, a slower opening of the ministry allows us to ensure everyone’s safety.
Hand sanitizing stations, family seating in the sanctuary, and masks will be available each Sunday.
Online services will continue for those who wish to stay home during this time.
Classes can resume. We ask that classes do not meet on Sundays, but another day to facilitate social distancing.
Youth ministry will resume on Sundays from 6-8 pm.
Thank you so much for your grace during this season. We know its been challenging for everyone and the patience of our church family has been inspiring. Thank you so much for your generosity during this season. It has made a difficult season easier. Again, we love you and cannot wait to see you soon.
Elders and Staff of NWCC
4/30 Update- When our state allows for gatherings of 50: office hours, small groups, youth ministry, and classes will resume. Sunday morning service will continue online.
100 people: Sunday worship service will resume with social distancing measures in place.
4/1 Update- Because of recent announcements made by our Governor and President, all weekly gatherings are being cancelled for April. The Sunday message will continue to be recorded and available online beginning Saturday evening. Your leadership team loves you and is praying for you, we are looking forward to when we can meet again.
3/20 Update- Given the governor's announcement, the leadership team at NWCC has made two additional decisions.
- To suspend all weekly gatherings through April 7th.
- To close the church office through April 7th.
If you have any needs or questions, please call 217-429-4278 or email [email protected].
You can continue to support Northwest financially through the website (nwcchurch.org) and app. These are safe, secure, and easy ways to give.
You can also mail your offering to 1306 N. Stanley Avenue, Decatur, IL 62526.
The recorded sermon will be available on Saturday evenings on the website and app.
We are praying that our next gathering will be April 12th, which happens to be Easter Sunday. We are anticipating a great time of worship and reconnection.
3/19 Update- In order to comply with CDC recommendations, the leadership team at Northwest has decided to suspend all weekly church gatherings until April 1. At that point we will reevaluate the decision and determine if further suspension of gatherings is needed.
During this time there are many ways for the church to be the church. We want to encourage you to:
- Pray: People are feeling great anxiety and uncertainty during this time. Pray for peace. Pray for health care workers. Pray for those affected by the virus. Pray for people being affected economically.
- Send A Message: An encouraging text, email, or phone call can go a long way.
- Study Scripture: There are so many resources available online to immerse ourselves in God’s word and be encouraged.
- Serve The People In Your Home: Being homebound can be really difficult, serving is a way to make sure that every member of the family is being cared for.
In addition, we will be providing a video teaching posted each Saturday evening to our church website (nwcchurch.org), app, and YouTube channel. For the next two weeks we will finish our Origin Story series on Genesis 1-11.
You can also read Steve’s blog at stevehiggs.blog. These blog entries are meant to challenge, encourage, and equip the church.
During this time, the church office will keep regular office hours, Monday-Thursday, in the mornings (8:30-noon) and flex hours in the afternoon (meetings can be made by appointment).
There are three ways to continue financially supporting Northwest: digitally (app or website), mail (1306 N. Stanley Avenue, Decatur, IL 62526), or drop off (you can bring your offering to the church office between 8:30am and noon, Monday through Thursday.).
These decisions were not made lightly and we already long for the time when we will gather again. God is greater than our fear and we will get through this time together.
Be wise but don’t be afraid,
Leadership Team, Northwest Christian Church.